By Dennis Hartley
Being that it’s the holidays and all, it seems good a time as any to share my Top 10 favorite songs of the season. Alphabetically…
- Alan Parsons in a Winter Wonderland – Grandaddy
The stockings are hung with irony in this CA indie band’s rendition.
2. Christmas in Hollis – Run DMC
To my knowledge, the first Xmas rap; a classic! The elf is disturbing.
3. A Christmas Song– Jethro Tull
Ian Anderson decries the commercialization; gets drunk with Santa.
4. Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
Oy, the mullets! Still quite moving 30 years on, and for a good cause.
5. I Am Santa Claus – Bob Rivers
Funniest Christmas parody song ever, by the “Twisted Tunes” gang.
6. I Believe in Father Christmas – Greg Lake
Such a beautiful song. Great live version with Ian Anderson on flute.
7. Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth-David Bowie & Bing Crosby
Yes, this really happened. Years before Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga.
8. Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Alice Cooper
Not a stretch, when you consider Santa is an anagram for, you know.
9. 2000 Miles – The Pretenders
A lovely chamber pop rendition, and Chrissie’s vocals are sublime.
10. We Wish You a Merry Christmas– Jacob Miller (w/ Ray I)
An ire, ire, ire Xmas wish from the late great Inner Circle front man.
Happy Crimble and a very New Year!